Wednesday 28 September 2011

Bernard Chandran SS12

Admittedly, I hadn't really heard of a Bernard Chandran on the fashion scene before I was kindly invited to his show on September 16th. While having a Pret A Manger lunch in the rose garden in Hyde Park, I thought I'd brush up on the Malaysian designer before I scooted to my new LFW location down Grosvenor Place, at the Grand Gallery of Il Bottaccio. It was a strange location to have a runway show with models walking round corners and shabby seating arrangements, but Chandran sure seemed to attract a crowd. I spotted even spotted a few celebs, including Jay from Channel 4's Dirty Sexy Things and Sugababes Jade Ewen. 

I was quite disappointed with my photographs on first glance and was half considering dismissing publishing them at all. Most images look like the models were speeding by surrounded in some ethereal light, or that I kept dropping my camera mid-shot! Then, looking back over the collection, my first impressions were of a futuristic glamour, a new-age luxury - and suddenly, my photos actually made sense. Sheer organzas over delicate satins mimicked 50's elegance with floor sweeping prom dresses and elbow length gloves. Traditional cuts were updated with asymmetrical detailing, exaggerated bodies, side splits and mullets. The eye make-up made the whole look, as the electric blue liner, in stark contrast to the models darker skin, were meant to be an imprint of cat-eye glasses without the whole 'dated' appearance. Beginning with luxe metallics and soft champagne, pops of bright pink and turquoise shocked the audience, and trims of feathers, cut outs of lace and simple surface embellishment added interest throughout. 






All above photographs @ Natalie Green / So Totally 

I didn't get a decent shot of the designer, Bernard Chandran, as he walked round the runway with his key piece, so I borrowed one from someone who did. If you want to talk logistics, the woman in the beige and pastel green dress (bottom left) is Jade Ewen, as mentioned above, and I would be standing behind Chandrans head...One second later and I would have been in this shot!


kris atomic

No comments:

Post a Comment